- Just listened to the entirety of this:
Not sure if it’s the band’s best album, but for me personally one of my favorites. RED brings the equal parts progressive Metal (before it existed) and experimental/free Jazz together, which is both stunning and shocking but surprisingly smooth on the ear holes. Course, a whole bucket full of ingredients are sprinkled in — it wouldn’t be King Crimson without that bucket — but to a lesser extent than the Jazz/Metal elements (mainly Electronica; there’s definitely synths on RED, but they’re only adding color, not driving the approach).
- Rolling Stone has the new BRONX record streaming in full. It’s just called “IV”. It’s definitely a blast to listen to, and you’ll want to jump around… but the pure, unadulterated rage of their first few albums isn’t quite there. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing, it depends on your perspective I suppose. Plus, you’ve gotta look at where they’re coming from: they’re a bit older, some of them probably have kids, etc. But running through it, you do get the feeling that there will not be a track titled “Shitty Future”. Still great to hear a new Bronx record though.
- I’m more than a bit disappointed that Duncan Jones got the Warcraft directing gig and not some other, more prized, pop cultural property [cough... EP SEVEN... cough, cough]. Still though, I am very happy for the guy. He’s got chops, and it’s nice to see a bit more of a subtle filmmaker get a big gig rather than an over the top, every camera trick in the bag, in your face style filmmaker. And who knows, maybe he’ll create a really cool, other-worldly but oddly real adaptation of the world WoW exists in?
- I am firmly on the side of New Avengers over Hickman’s regular Avengers title. A bunch of people spoke of how boring the second issue was because it was a bunch of guys sitting around a table talking. That may be true, but when the “bunch of guys” are the some of the best minds on the planet and they’re discussing how to approach a problem even they can only vaguely begin to comprehend — and it’s written really, really well — that sounds mighty interesting to me.
- Speaking of, I should probably do some comic reviews one of these days.
- Newest Game Of Thrones video blog thingy (from Iceland):