- BBC posted audio of DOOM in their studios this past week, debuting a new track of “JJ DOOM”, coming out on Tuesday. Very pretty song:
What an awesome year it’s been for Hip-Hop. Especially for me: DOOM, El-P, and Aesop Rock are three of my favorite rappers.
- Ernest Hemmingway Was A Lousy Spy…is an interesting name for an article. Haha… check it out:
While other American sailors were volunteering their boats and their time along the East Coast to spot U-boats, Hemingway’s concept of operations went further. He would pretend to be fishing, wait until a German submarine came alon side to buy fresh fish and water and then attack the enemy with bazookas, machine guns, and hand grenades. Hemingway would use Basque jai alai players to lob the grenades down the open hatches of the unsuspecting U-boat.
- Back when I was super into writing science fiction shorts, stories like this always fascinated me: Shamoon Virus Targets Energy Sector Infrastructure. As the world becomes more and more digitalized, it opens itself up closer and closer to ruin. Yes, I realize I’m breaking no new ground with that statement.
- The Pussy Riot prison sentence is, of course, outrageous. But you already know that.
- Enlightening interview with Gore Vidal in 2005, which has never before been translated into English. Like most writers — good writers — the guy couldn’t get enough of himself. But I can respect that because he was one of smartest men on the planet, and never spoke about anything he wasn’t ahead of the curve on. Example: this was his response to, “what do you think of religion today in America?”:
It’s the work of the devil. Maybe there is no good God. But there is definitely a devil, and his predominant passion is the religion of those Protestant fundamentalists. I believe my country is beginning to resemble a theocracy. Using television, the evangelists raise appalling amounts of money which they then invest in the election of mentally disabled obscurantists.
Since there is no system of public education, the great majority of my fellow citizens is frighteningly ignorant. They have no idea where Iraq is. They accept as the gospel whatever the government tells them. Good grief, any other normal country would have been against the Iraq war! But we live in an abnormal country, governed by experts in deceptive advertising.
- 1976 doesn’t feel like a particularly amazing year for music, but just look at these lists of releases from back then.